The mission of the Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt is to provide education, inspiration and enjoyment of bonsai to novice visitors and bonsai enthusiasts within a museum of bonsai masterpieces.
How to Give to the GSBF Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt (BGLM)
You know how important it is to house and maintain this world class collection of legacy trees for the public to view in the best possible museum setting. Each takes soil, fertilizers, pots, water, space and constant care. BGLM is a volunteer organization that manages our gifts carefully to keep the Garden a living museum of the art of bonsai. Donors are invited to become members of our Garden Revitalization Opportunity (GRO) program. The goal of this program is to “Grow the old Garden into something new again.” GRO will focus our efforts on the following projects:
- replace all of the decaying display benches,
- replace the irrigation systems in the display garden and reserve areas,
- replace existing drip heads on bonsai
- add an additional pathway inside the Garden,
- install additional display and seating benches,
- install a tokonoma display area,
- repave the pathways in the Garden,
- replace signage throughout the entire Lake Merritt Garden,
- add weed cloth over the entire landscape area, and
- upgrade the exterior electrical outlets and security lights.